Saturday, January 16, 2010
Reflections 3
I woudn't consider my elemtary or secondary schools multicultural. In fifth grade my teacher didnt teach us anything about black history month. However, when it was Hispanic Heritage month we knew everything there was to know about the Hispanic countries and their customs. My secondary school, only recognized Haiian Flag day. My experiences in school were indicative to the addictive approach. This approach is effeicient to a certain extent. By using the addictive approach we are only learning about a few cultures. The school is not year round. If we wait for a holiday or even an event ot show up, then we won't be able to cover a lot. In the time that we are waiting for something to come for example, black history month we can be teaching about other cultures. If I could go back to elementary and secondary school, I would want my teachers to use the social action approach. The social actions approach is all of the spproaches combined. Not only will you learn about other cultures, but you will also make decisions on the social issues and get invloved in helping the issue. I would have understood much better the things that were going on around me back then if my schools practiced multicultural education. For example, I didn't understand what was going on with the whole Elian Gonzales incident back then. If my teacher would have taught us about Cuba and what was going with the young boy, maybe I would have cared or paid the situation some attention. If I knew then, what I know about Cuba I would have felt bad and wanted to voice my opinion and help. I must admit I was rather ignorant back then. I woudn't accept anybody as friend that looked diferent to me. Everybody and every culture was either white or black. In my eyes Hispanics, Indians, Arabs, Asians and everyone else that was not African American was white. My friends and I would pick at anyone that looked different from us. if my teachers used the social actions approach I feel that I would have looked at different people with different eyes. instead of picking at them, I proabably would have been tempted to ask them questions about where they came from. All schools should embrace multicultural education. That way, when children grow up they won't be surprised to find out that the world is not consist of people that are similar to them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment